10/9/09

The Bigger They Are...

Apparently, I am one of the bigger, because I fell hard. Yesterday (and I apologize if this is like the third time you are hearing about it…) I got tangled up in the Most Evil canvas and wire chair on the planet. I was just walking into the kitchen, minding my own business, and it reached out and grabbed me. Please skip from here to the next paragraph if you are grossed out by abnormal things happening to the human body. Right now, dear friend. OK, for those of you still here, the horrifying details: I wrestled with the chair, lost, and found myself on the ground, in an amazing amount of pain in my right leg. My right knee was bent to the right but uncomfortably overextended. And my foot, my poor foot, (really this is gross, feel free to skip ahead) was backwards. Flat against the ground, pointing 180 degrees in the wrong direction. Aaaa! Did that make you shiver? I shivered, and possibly moaned. I don’t think I’ve seen many scarier things in my life. I turned my foot back around with my hands. There were some really crunchy sounds. I was too startled to even use any inappropriate language.

Welcome back, if you skipped ahead. Suffice it to say I twisted my ankle so hard I was pretty sure I had broken it. I crawled to the couch, got my cell phone and called Rick. I felt I had to move quickly, before I passed out or something. But apparently the pain I was feeling was about as much as I was going to feel. Chris rushed Rick home and Rick took me to emergency, where I was swept right into the back and then left sitting there forever, as usual. But then they gave me morphine, so all is forgiven.
There are three bones you can break in your ankle. Turns out I broke all three. Next Wednesday, I am going in for surgery. I won’t go into details, but pins and plates were mentioned, as well as a loooooong recovery time. Two weeks on the couch with my foot elevated for sure, and then four to six weeks hopping around on my left foot. Six more weeks of only putting my foot on the ground, no weight, then physical therapy. In six months, the orthopedic surgeon tells me, I will be feeling pretty much able to do most of what I could do the day before yesterday.
I am grateful to God for many things today: my family and their unquestioning willingness to take care of me; medical insurance; God’s grace that I didn’t break open my fool head. Couches and pillows. Oh, and percocet. Wonderful stuff!
Thanks for listening. All is well. You can see the picture of my huge cast. It’s not gross unless you are scared of elephants. If you ask me, I am totally rockin' the paper pants.
love,
cat

3 comments:

  1. Nancy Muirhead10/12/09, 9:54 AM

    YIKES!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I had my dog break my left ankle in May so I understand exactly what you are going thru. I had surgury also and was 12 weeks none weight bearing. If you need to talk to someone give me a call. I have been there and would love to be your support group.

    Nancy Hager

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Nancy and you too, Nancy! :) I had the chair banished. What did you do to the dog? I love support, I would appreciate yours. :) (:

    ReplyDelete